4 ways to go green at home

Looking for ways to make your home a little greener? (Environmentally friendly, that is.) You’re not alone. More and more people have been motivated to do their part to reduce their carbon footprint.

Going green at home gives you the satisfaction of knowing you’re helping the environment. But there’s another plus you might not know about. It can help your pocketbook, too, by reducing expenses on everyday products and utility bills.

Here are four easy steps you can put into place today to turn your home into an environmentally conscious haven.

Reduce single-use plastic

Single-use plastic has become an increasingly prevalent problem in our environment. While things like water bottles, pre-diluted cleaning solutions and other soaps and cleaners may seem to be convenient, they pose a real problem in today’s world.

Humans produce roughly 400 million tons of plastic a year. The major problem is that only 10% of that actually gets recycled, leaving 90% to languish in landfills and congregate in massive vortices within our seas.

You can do your part to help by reducing the amount of single-use plastic you use in your home and on the go.

Opting for reusable stainless steel or ceramic water bottles can vastly reduce the waste that comes from plastic water bottles. For cleaning needs, forgoing pre-diluted cleaning options in favor of glass sprayer bottles and “just add water” cleaning solutions — like the options we offer at Nature Lake — are fantastic ways to limit plastic usage on the home front.

Get to gardening

Starting a garden at your home isn’t just a great way to treat yourself to fresh food, but it’s also a way to help out the environment as well.

Plants absorb carbon dioxide and other air pollutants while also exuding oxygen and fresh scents. This provides a miniature “air filter” for your backyard while also benefiting the surrounding soil and reducing erosion.

Planting a full garden can be a little intimidating for newbies. The good news: There’s no need to go all-out right away. Growing things like herbs, peppers and some of the lower-maintenance vegetables like lettuce, beets and cucumbers are great starting points to begin your green thumb journey. Neighborhood gardens are a great option for urban dwellers who don’t have yards. And you can also grow herbs in a sunny window!

A garden can be the first step to full or partial self-sustainability, while also helping the environment in the process.

Create energy efficiency

Creating and maintaining an energy-efficient home helps you do your part to help the environment, but there’s also the added bonus of helping out your wallet.

Energy-efficient appliances and products have become commonplace in today’s market, and investing in an energy-efficient kitchen, washer and dryer, and even lightbulbs, can have a profound positive outcome. The Department Of Energy estimates that a household can save up to 30% on household utility bills by switching to energy-efficient appliances.

While efficient appliances are important for a green household, another method of saving energy comes from outside of the home.

Solar panels have long been popular alternatives for powering homes, but for many average households, the high price tag put them out of reach. That’s changing. The Department of Energy aims to cut the cost of solar energy by 60% by 2030 with the goal of helping more Americans slash their energy bills.

Repair instead of replace

Another easy way to go green at home is to opt for repairing or remodeling certain items instead of replacing them.

In 2018, Americans threw away 17 million tons of garments. Learning a simple skill of our parents and grandparents — how to use a needle and thread — extends the lifespan of tattered clothing and helps the environment in the process.

Added bonus: Repairing or remodeling old furniture is a great way to add a new look to old pieces.

When it comes to couches and chairs, adding new upholstery or giving it a deep clean can make the item look like new. With wooden items like TV stands, dressers or tables, adding a new coat of paint can make it feel like you just got back from the furniture store.

At Nature Lake, we are committed to environmentally conscious cleaning options to help you achieve a greener household.

Check out our selection of plastic-free cleaning supplies, and contact us at any time with ideas to improve our product line and expand the range of conscientious cleaning choices that we can provide to our customers.

Sign Up and Save 20%

Sign up for our newsletter to hear about new products, the latest trends, and special promotions and we will send you a coupon to use on your next purchase!