In the past, most consumers would opt for whatever heavy-duty cleaning product they were most accustomed to. What their parents or even grandparents used. In recent years, however, the general public is realizing that the chemicals contained in these cleaners are bad for the environment and the people and pets in your home.
Because they are filled with chemicals and allergens, the use of traditional cleaning products can cause a host of negative health effects such as allergic reactions, headaches, and respiratory problems, among other health issues. Not the type of environment you want to expose to your family.
It makes good sense for your health and for the environment to use natural cleaning products. but, you may still be wondering if they really get the job done. Sure, natural products are safer, but are they as effective?
Below we have highlighted three things to look for in a natural cleaning product to ensure it’s natural and will get the job done. Read on to learn how to pick a brand that works for you, so you can keep your house sanitary without compromising on family safety.
The first thing to look for in a natural cleaning product is what type of ingredients are included in the solution. There are a number of positive and negative aspects to scan for to make sure the product is effective and performs up to expectations.
- First things first: Make sure it doesn’t contain any of the harmful ingredients that are found in traditional heavy-duty cleaners. There are brands out there that may advertise they are “all natural,” and yet contain the same problematic ingredients they advocate against. Look for ingredients such as ammonia, chlorine, sodium hydroxide, triclosan, copious added fragrances among others.
- Claims: If the natural product in question is free of these harmful chemicals, the next thing to look for are the specific claims the product has on the bottle. Try to find phrases such as “biodegradable,” “non-toxic” and even “free of.” These will tell a lot about what is included in the solution, and if it is truly a natural cleaning product.
Next on our list of things to look for is the certifications that are included on the product label. Many products advertise that they are all natural or eco-friendly, but don’t fully buy in to those claims unless you see one of (or all three) of these certifications:
- Green Seal: Green Seal is an independent, nonprofit organization that uses scientific reasoning and study to identify and confirm the eco-friendly products that they support. This organization supports a wide range of natural cleaning products and can be found on a number of reputable choices.
- EPA Safer Choice: The Safer Choice is a label created by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. This label certifies that the product in question has gone through an EPA review, and is worthy of claiming itself as a natural product.
- ECOLOGO: ECOLOGO is an organization that certifies cleaning products, packaging and other products are up to environmental standards. All products that have been reviewed go through a rigorous and thorough testing before achieving this impressive certification.
The final thing to look for in a natural cleaning product is what other people are saying about it. The product in question could have all of the eco-friendly certifications in the world, but if it doesn’t clean up to expectations, you’ll be left with disappointment and a less-than-clean house.
Look for positive reviews that mention cleaning power, pleasing fragrances and ease of use. In doing so you will find a natural cleaning product you are bound to make your next staple.
When choosing a new all-natural cleaning product, there are a few different areas to check before you buy. Making note of the product’s ingredients, its certifications and its reviews, you are sure to find something to fit your cleaning and ecological needs.
If you are ready to make the switch to natural cleaning products, give us a try at Nature Lake today!